Mindset and Attitude, is the key to achieving Personal Effectiveness and Excellence.
Personal Effectiveness is the complete effort to achieve success in any task. Our Mindset and Attitude are the engines that drive personal effectiveness.
We would be looking at Definition of Mindset and Types of Mindset today.
Mindset is a set of opinions, views or assumptions that one forms about something or situation.
A person’s mindset is rooted in their Experiences, Education, Upbringing and Culture.
From these roots, thoughts are formed, once triggered, which establishes beliefs and attitudes towards the thing or situation.
There are two types of Mindset: Fixed and Growth
CHARACTERISTICS OF FIXED MINDSET
- Believe their intelligence, creative abilities and character are fixed
- They are stuck with who they are and what they know.
- Believing that putting effort is worthless or fruitless.
- They believe personal achievements (whether failure or success) define who they are
- Taking every change as a challenge to their ego and a threat to their past achievements
- They resist change and try to find ways to frustrate it
EFFECTS OF FIXED MINDSET
- Avoidance of new challenges or change
- Pride in last or past achievements
- Fear of judgement or loss of past credits/awards
- Feel threatened and envious of others success
CHARACTERISTICS OF GROWTH MINDSET
- They believe their intelligence, creative ability and character can be improved upon
- Believing that more effort is the path to mastery
- They believe mistakes are essential paths of learning
- Use of failures as opportunities to learn
- They see every change as growth opportunity
- They welcome/embrace change and seek learning opportunities within it
EFFECTS OF GROWTH MINDSET
- Embraces change and challenges
- Perseveres in the face of challenges
- Results in upward spiral of continuous development
OPERATION OF THE MIND
The part of the mind that receives information from the senses, processes it, accepts or rejects and stores the selected decision on the subconscious mind.
How information is processed, accepted or rejected is influenced by whether the mindset is fixed or growth.
The part that stores and retrieve data/information placed in it by the conscious mind. Its job is to ensure that you respond exactly the way you have been programmed (the way data/information has been stored in it).
‘What you think about you bring about; what reasoning the conscious mind dwells on our subconscious mind goes to work on to create in our experiences’
‘In one world (Fixed), effort is a bad thing. It, like failure, means you’re not smart or talented. If you were, you wouldn’t need effort. In the other world (Growth), effort is what makes you smart or talented.’
In a change situation, for instance, moving training from physical face-to-face to virtual training, the two types of mindset will operate as follows:
Fixed Mindset (believe intelligence, creativity and character are fixed)
– I don’t need this change. It is a threat to my success. “Therefore reject it”. This “reject change” will be stored in the subconscious mind and retrieved each time there is change.
Growth Mindset (believe intelligence, creativity and character can be improved upon)
– I need this change. It will make me improve my performance. “Therefore accept it”. This “accept change” will be stored in the subconscious mind and retrieved each time there is change.
STRATEGIES FOR CHANGING FIXED MINDSET
- Identify the triggers (in which situations do the doubts come)
- Hear the voice (what does it say to you to keep you stuck)
- Understand the source (fear of failure, being judged, threat to your ego or achievement)
- Acknowledge and dismiss it
- Realise your power of choice
- Exchange for growth actions
5 KEY GROWTH ACTIVATION QUESTIONS
- How can I learn from this?
- Which steps can I take?
- How can it be done differently?
- What information can I gather?
- Is my current strategy working?
This Part 1 of the article is focused on Mindset. In Part 2, we will discuss Attitude. You must have a growth mindset to embrace change and challenges, persevere in the face of challenges and results in upward spiral of continuous development. Equipping you with these important competencies and skills is what My3D Program provides you.